Question: I have several health problems in addition to hearing loss. My family is advising me to treat my hearing loss first, but I don’t understand why.
Answer: Your family is giving you wise advice. Addressing your hearing loss is priority for many reasons:
- As you are hearing better, you will be understanding your doctors and family better.
- The conversation you are missing around you is important for staying involved and in touch with your circumstances.
- Improved hearing improves your quality of health resulting in overall feeling better.
- Hearing is a cornerstone to aging well. It enables you to live safe, healthy and socially inclusive lifestyles.
- It’s not unusual to have hearing loss in combination with other health issues, as hearing loss is related to diabetes, falls, hypertension, dementia and more.