Question: I have hearing loss in one ear that cannot be helped with a hearing aid and normal hearing in the other ear. I frequently have trouble hearing those at the office on the side of my poor ear. Any suggestions?

Answer: You have described a type of hearing loss that usually CAN be helped with hearing aids. Single sided deafness is called unilateral hearing loss and can be helped by using a contralateral routing of signals (CROS).

In other words, there is a hearing aid system that uses a microphone device on the poor ear and sounds from that side are picked up in the microphone and “sent” wirelessly to a device in the better hearing ear where it is heard and understood. This is great for hearing conversation that is on the poor ear side.

We are created to have 2 ears on purpose. Even with normal hearing in one ear, you still are not able to hear normally and the CROS system helps many people.

Contact Thigpen Hearing Center today for a demonstration to see if using a contralateral routing of signals can help you too.