Hearing aids are only one piece of the puzzle to better hearing. Hearing your best means having the right technology for your loss that is programmed with experience and art to maximize your comfort, clarity and overall benefit. In addition, improved hearing results from education into the implications of your hearing ability and specific tips for your unique environments to improve understanding.
Anytime someone is fit with new technology, there will be an adjustment period. Regardless of whether the person you’re communicating with has an untreated hearing loss or is using hearing aids for the first time, the following communication tips can be used to enhance your conversations:
- Sit or stand 3 to 6 feet away to maximize audibility
- Stay at eye level to help with visual cues
- Make sure you have the person’s attention before speaking
- Use facial expressions and gestures to accentuate your message
- Speak slowly and distinctly
- Use short, simple sentences
- Rephrase your words if the person is having a hard time understanding you
- To avoid distortion, don’t speak directly into a person’s ear
- Reduce background noise as much as possible; mute the TV for conversations
- In a restaurant, chose your seating specifically for better conversations with a list of recommendations from our office
- Ask others to speak more slowly rather than louder
We can help with better communication techniques. Our practice regularly hosts open houses and hearing events in which patients, their family, and their friends are welcome to come by and discuss their unique communication issues at greater length.
We recommend booking an appointment for a comprehensive hearing consultation so that our hearing care providers can find out more about your specific type of hearing loss and lifestyle. Contact us to schedule a complete consultation.